Traditions & History

Sacred Heart School was established in 1912 by 3 Franciscan sisters from Lafayette, ID. When Sacred Heart parish became the Cathedral of the newly formed diocese in the early 1940’s, the name of the school changed to Sacred Heart Cathedral School. During the first 50 Years, SHCS exploded and was, at one point, the largest parochial school in the state of New Mexico.

In 1950, with classes as big as 60 students, a building campaign was started by local businessmen and clergy. Within just 2 years the community raised nearly $300,000 to construct the new elementary, high-school and Gymnasium on Park Avenue where our school remains today. In 1994 the school was privatized and no longer part of the Cathedral Parish. At that time, the name was changed to Gallup Catholic School: Home of the Cathedral Panthers. In 2009, Bishop James S. Wall reincorporated the school as part of the Diocese of Gallup and rededicated the school to the most sacred heart of Jesus.

Throughout its lifespan, this school has maintained the practice of instilling spiritual, academic and character formation in children of the Gallup area. Thousands of students have experienced the blessing of a faith filled learning environment and taken pride in receiving a quality education here. Since the 1920’s and 30’s, activities such as sports for both boys and girls, drama and music have been proud traditions at the school. Service to the community has always been an integral aspect of student life and the dedication of our faculty has been unparalleled. These benefits and traditions continue now as much as ever.

The school celebrated it’s Centennial Anniversary last year.

In an area where quality education is a rarity and financial opportunity is even more scarce, the dedication of the community to ensure the school’s continuation, reflects the high value local people place on this school.

With Our Lord’s Blessing and our continued diligence, this institution will continue to bring Chirst’s love through solid academics and faithful moral instruction to many more generation to come.